Location: Home  Community Forums  Monthly Mapping Contest  MMC May 2013 - Elite 
MMC May 2013 - Elite
Page: 1 of 4
Post Reply  0 Observer
MMC May 2013 - Elite  
Welcome to the second Shootmania Monthly Mapping Contest (MMC), 6th of May 2013, hosted by ManiaExchange.

In the MMC, your task is to build a shootmania map on a given theme (see below). All of the submissions will be added to our Official MMC Server, which will be open to the public and is where our judges will play and judge the maps to find a winner.

Click Here to join the MMC server directly from your ingame browser!

The Details

Let's have a look at the details of the contest:

Theme of the month: Elite without flat platform blocks.
Build an Elite map without using ANY flat platform blocks! To be more specific, the blocks you may NOT use are 2-4-1 and 2-4-8. (Pic related)

Deadline: Friday, May 31th, 2013, 23:59:59 GMT

Prize:

:gold: First place: 10.000 planets
:silver: Second place: 7500 planets
:bronze: Thrid place: 5000 planets

:award: Top 3 maps will be featured in the news section on the frontpage, getting a lot more spotlight.
(the winners should expect to see their maps getting played on servers a lot more. :cool: )

The rules:

:done: Your map may NOT contain these two flat platform blocks. (2-4-1 and 2-4-8)

:done: Some special rules follow for blocks 2-5-x, you may not use the roof as a straight block but you may place a tilted block on top of it: this picture should give you a clear idea.

:done: You may NOT use the following extra blocks since they are too flat, but they should speak for themselves: 3-9-4, 3-9-5, 3-9-6, 6-1-6, 6-2-2, 6-3-6 and 6-4-2.

:done: You have to build an elite map which will have to be playable in the Elite title. Remember, elite is a hard gamemode to build, you'd have to keep lots of things in mind and try to make the defenders and attacker equally hard to defend and attack.

:done: You have to have one pole, one defender spawn and one attackers spawn. (which is needed for a basic elite map)

:done: Max. 1 map per author. Single author per map.

:done: Blockmixing/Unlimiter is NOT allowed.

:done: Include the sequence of letters "MMC" somewhere in the track name so that it can be easily discovered on mania-exchange.com.

:done: The map must have been uploaded to the exchange before May 29th 2013 00:00 GMT (May 29th 23:59:59 is OK).

:done: You may update your map as many times as you like, but you will have to post in the submissions thread what you updated about it. :)
(Please make a whole new post in the submissions thread for each updated version of the map)

A number of judges will rate the maps on the following topics:

:award: Design – Layout, did the author really think about where to place certain blocks? scenery, the general "feel" of the map. The maps should be playable for beginners too. Max 15 points/judge

:award: Creativity – The creativity of the map itself, stuff that you don't usually see, creative ideas, those kind of things. Max. 10 points/judge

:award: Fun Factor – Depending on how fun the judges find your map, a few extra points can be given. Max 10 points/judge

:award: How does it play – A map can have creative ideas, beautiful scenery, but does it actually work? Max 10 points/judge

Important: To enter a map, simply upload it and post a link to your submission in this thread.

We still need volunteers for MMC's. To volunteer as a judge, please send a PM to Basbaas!
(Note: We can't simply accept anyone, you have to be familiar enough with the game, the editor and the gameplay, we need trustworthy, reliable and committed judges.)

o Judges should be able to join our server and play the maps together at a time they agree.
o The set time for this should be announced so that map builders and the community can also join the party!
o The server will still be open for anyone (including judges) to join and play at other times.

Good luck! If you have any questions, feel free to ask me! :d
I got inspired by this month's united theme 8-|

Last edited by basbaas,
Trainee Sniper

Are flat blocks allowed for scenery?
FPS Learner

FT»Mandark says:
Are flat blocks allowed for scenery?

No.
Trainee Sniper

That was some fast couple of days basbaas XD (l)

easy explained !
no straight block at all
and only tilted platform blocks is allowed (not even the jump pad i guess ?
is it only the quadratic blocks that can´t be flat.
so the pole most be on the grass then ?
right ?
Last edited by SPIDER,
FPS Learner

oh pretty the same theme like in tmu :p
anyways a great one
is it allowed to build these hills which contain a flat area on top?
the goal is allowed to be flat? :p
FPS Learner

SPIDER says:
That was some fast couple of days basbaas XD (l)

easy explained !
no straight block at all
and only tilted platform blocks is allowed (not even the jump pad i guess ?
is it only the quadratic blocks that can´t be flat.
so the pole most be on the grass then ?
right ?

All the blocks you may not use are 2-4-1 and 2-4-8, 3-9-4, 3-9-5, 3-9-6, 6-1-6, 6-2-2, 6-3-6 and 6-4-2.
I made a screenshot of all the blocks that are not allowed. Click here.
Besides these blocks, you can use everything else. (y)
Last edited by basbaas,
Trainee Sniper

Great theme, will post my entry tonight. =)

Challenging but not overly difficult restrictions. :done:
FPS Learner

I tought of using 2-7-5 but i think the idea behind the theme is gone then
but i guess its one of the block you miss right, or is it allowed ?
Last edited by SPIDER,
FPS Learner

SPIDER says:
I tought of using 2-7-5 but i think the idea behind the theme is gone then
but i guess its one of the block you miss right, or is it allowed ?

I'm sure it must only be okay to use those to add lights other towers (placing part way down), as creating a flat base would be against the rules.

There is also some blocks which have metalic clips at the edge, used to link to heal pads, spawn areas etc... by linking them just to each other instead, you can create a flat area with a small metal lump or ridge in the middle.... I suspect doing this would also break the rules? ... Similarly, if you place the metal side next to an existing wall, then you just get a metal lip at the base of the wall and the block is otherwise a flat surface, again I suspect this can't be allowed?
Last edited by MrA,
Pole Dancer

MrA says:
There is also some blocks which have metalic clips at the edge, used to link to heal pads, spawn areas etc... by linking them just to each other instead, you can create a flat area with a small metal lump or ridge in the middle.... I suspect doing this would also break the rules? ... Similarly, if you place the metal side next to an existing wall, then you just get a metal lip at the base of the wall and the block is otherwise a flat surface, again I suspect this can't be allowed?

This is allowed, you may use those blocks.
Trainee Sniper
Page: 1 of 4 Post Reply